Monday, September 15, 2008

you shall above all things be glad and young

i am resisting the temptation to post this youtube i found of a ninja cat.

I've been shooting my godsister a lot;



it occurred to me recently that she is going away to college very soon (about 5 days now) and I became hyper-nostalgic and started calling her to hang out or see a movie or bake or shop... I'm always impressed by how gracefully she is growing up. It seems always ulcer-inducing (for me) to trust friends and family that are younger than I am to come up against and deal with the things that I did at their age-- adolescence, parties, pot, booze, sex, drama, Burning Man, etc. ...I've never been to Burning Man. But I'd probably saw my nails off imagining my godsister trading knitted headbands for ganja treats or encountering a plastered 58-year-old man wandering around peeing blood and urine all over himself from dehydration-induced kidney failure. Yup. Apparently I'm missing out.

I digress...

The fuzzy line between trust and skepticism is important. I'll miss my lovely model.

I want to give her this poem. it seems relevant:

   you shall above all things be glad and young
For if you're young,whatever life you wear

it will become you;and if you are glad
whatever's living will yourself become.
Girlboys may nothing more than boygirls need:
i can entirely her only love

whose any mystery makes every man's
flesh put space on;and his mind take off time

that you should ever think,may god forbid
and (in his mercy) your true lover spare:
for that way knowledge lies,the foetal grave
called progress,and negation's dead undoom.


I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance

-ee cummings

I'm pretty sure a lot of people know about that poem. I only just came across it in my book the other day and I was blown away by every line. Love that man.


(ohfuckitjustwatchtheninjacat.)

No comments: